So how are you liking Hip & Hooray so far? We’re nearly a week in, and I don’t know about you, but I’m having a blast. More than that, I’m super excited to announce a new bi-weekly feature–an inspiration challenge called, you guessed it, “Tuesday’s Take.”
One of my goals here at Hip & Hooray is to inspire your creativity–to encourage you to stretch your wings by trying new things and hopefully rattle your creative cage a bit. As someone who enjoys being creative very much, I’m a firm believer that creativity helps give us access to critical aspects to our lives. Things like:
- Flow, which is the mental state of being completely present and fully immersed in a task. When you are in flow, all other distractions fade to the background, and while you are concentrating on the challenge at hand, you lose track of time as you delve deep into yourself before re-emerging more energized with a keener sense of self, and hopefully a sense of accomplishment, too.
- Problem solving, which helps us to become resourceful and adaptable, qualities that are also tremendously important in our daily lives.
- A sense of freedom–from worry, responsibility, judgment, rules–there is no “right” way to create.
- A sense of community–we learn by engaging with others, and especially by encouraging one another, too.
- Self-awareness and self-expression. I love this quote from this article about these two aspects of creativity:
Creativity is the route to authenticity. As we create, we plumb the depths of our being, accessing what we think and believe. The more we create, the more we discover and realize our habits, impulses, and desires. When we take the time and energy to develop our own ideas, we respect our inner nature and are better able to express ourselves to the world on a regular basis.
Isn’t that lovely? No wonder so many of us are creativity junkies!
So let’s talk Tuesday’s Take. I provide you with what I think is an inspiring image, one that lends itself to intriguing interpretations, and you bring your approach to the table. You look at the image, see what inspires you about it, choose the medium in which you’d like to express yourself, and then start creating! You can create with whatever and however you please. Here are just a few mediums you could consider:
- Paper crafted projects such as cards and scrapbook layouts
- Photography that captures the theme, colors, texture, and/or design, etc. of the inspiration image
- Stitching, including but not limited to embroidery, quilting, or sewing
- Watercolor or other paints
- Digital media
- Mixed media
- Anything else that floats your creative boat!
Are you ready? Here’s this week’s image:
Here’s how it will work:
- Create something based on the inspiration image that reflects your individual style and skill set.
- Take a photo of it and upload it to Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #tuesdaystake followed by the number of the challenge. For example, this week the hashtag will be #tuesdaystake1. If you have a blog, you are more than welcome to upload the project to your blog, but the only place I will see it is on Instagram or Facebook.
- I will announce the winners on Tuesday, August 18.
Sound like fun? I super can’t wait!